Bringing People Together
Resource type: Grantee Story
Carla Oterbridge interviews Lorraine and Edward Durham about their needs and gaps in services for Age Concern. Photo: Michelle Dismont-Frazzoni
Atlantic’s support in Bermuda has strengthened the capacity of the island’s nonprofit sector by encouraging traditional nonprofits to become social advocates, developing nascent organisations into leaders and facilitating collaboration among organisations to advance shared agendas. With Atlantic’s support, Age Concern, among others, has become a leader in creating social change.
“We could stay in business forever managing crises, but is that really helping the people of Bermuda? We’ve got to get to the root.”
– Claudette Fleming, Executive Director
- Began as a volunteer organisation in 1978; became a nonprofit in 2000 and is now a leading advocate for older adults and ageing issues
- Disseminates information, operates a call centre for older adults and works with local businesses to link older adults with products and services that fit their needs, ranging from financial planning to legal counsel, health services and home improvement
- Conducted demographic research in partnership with the government to ensure that its services match the needs of older adults
- Its contact list of persons over age 50 represents more than a sixth of the Bermudian population.
Giving While Living: Marking 30 Years of Achievements: 1982–2012
> Read more stories of impact in our 30th anniversary publication