The Path to a People-Centered Health System
Resource type: Research Report
Community Catalyst |
Millions of Americans now have access to health coverage and care, thanks to the Affordable Care Act. But the health care system in the United States is still notable for its variable quality, inefficiency, high costs, health inequities and lack of responsiveness to the needs of patients, caregivers and communities.
This report from Community Catalyst maps a path forward for consumer advocates taking on the challenges and opportunities of transforming the current system. It provides an assessment of the current situation and offers key recommendations to help improve value, reduce spending and create a more equitable health care system overall.
These six steps can help transform the U.S. health care system:
- Articulate a proactive vision and framework for a transformed health system
- Strengthen and expand coalition building at the state and local levels
- Build policy and delivery system expertise
- Build – or strengthen existing – grassroots engagement and leadership development work
- Build – or strengthen existing – stakeholder alliances
- Build a communications programme for use at all levels of advocacy that generates public support for health system transformation.
> Download the Report (PDF)
Community Catalyst is an Atlantic grantee.