Promoting Civic Engagement in Later Life Through the Touchstone Programme
Resource type: Research Report
Irish Centre for Social Gerontology, NUI Galway |
Touchstone is a program of the Active Ageing Partnership of Ireland, developed in partnership with the Irish Centre for Social Gerontology at NUI Galway, designed to expand opportunities for older adults to become more engaged in their communities. This publication summarizes results of the program, including what was learned about what influences older adults to become civically engaged and the supports required to maintain that engagement. It also contains guidance for others who are interested in strengthening the participation of older people in the lives of their communities.
This report and guide will be of interest to:
- older people with an interest in civic engagement;
- organizations interested in promoting civic engagement among older people;
- experienced facilitators wishing to promote civic engagement;
- researchers interested in understanding and evaluating civic engagement initiatives;
- researchers interested in the participation of older people in creating age-friendly communities; and
- policy makers who wish to influence aging issues.
> Read the report (PDF)